Tried and tested (and approved!) games and activities to help English learning.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Long Sentence Game

Level: Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced.

Skills: speaking.

Topic: grammar.

Materials: none.

Time: 5 to 15 minutes.

One student says a sentence, e.g. I watch TV, and then names another student in class (Gabriel). Gabriel then repeats the sentence, adding a verb phrase, and names the next student, e.g. I watch TV and I eat popcorn. (Isabella). Isabella repeats the sentence and adds another phrase, e.g. I watch TV, I eat popcorn, and I phone my boyfriend. (Laura).

A different student must be nominated each time. The game continues round the class. The object of the game is for students to remember and say the ever lengthening sentence. When the sentence is long enough and students are struggling to remember it, finish by getting the whole class to repeat the final sentence together. 

Tip: demonstrate with examples on the board before you start, showing students how the position of and moves. You can use long sentence game for structures such as: like (verb) -ing (I like reading, swimming, dancing, etc.); there is / there are (In my bedroom, there is a bed, a chair, a computer, etc.); past simple (Yesterday, I got up, I had a shower, I got dressed, etc.); countability (My sister bought some tomatoes, an onion, some sugar, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about it?